Friday, October 31, 2014

Fridays are my favorite

Especially when they coincide with Halloween.  My boss let us leave at noon today to prepare for the evening and I've been thoroughly enjoying my time.  The three hours of work I did before lunch were productive and went quick, then I stopped in to visit my husband (so I could store my pumped breastmilk in his office fridge...didn't want it to sit in the car all afternoon), drove down to babies r us and got some last minute halloween costume items for both daughters (Jane is going to be Elsa and I'm dressing Abby up as Olof...I'm pretty excited about it).  After the halloween prep was accomplished I came over to the Barnes N Noble shopping area...first I walked down to Ross to see if there were any amazing deals on shoes or electronics (there were not), then walked down to Best Buy and window shopped all sorts of fun android devices (more preparation for the Note 4 I'll be getting in what feels like a year or two).  Started contemplating getting a Galaxy Tab 7.0 someday (I have absolutely no need for it whatsoever but I guarantee I'll be thinking up all sorts of reasons why I can't live without one in a few months).  Finally came into Barnes N Noble and checked out their book bags, journals, new books and saw that they have their own version of the Galaxy Tab 7.0 with some nifty Nook widget added on.  I'd buy that.  Anything to support my favorite store.  Maybe for my birthday...And if you were wondering, yes, I know I have a problem.  There are probably support groups for my particular addiction but I am not ashamed of who I am.

So NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow.  I'm sort of prepared.  I've outlined what I want to write and when I want to write and I'm only worried about my own wimpiness.  I've written an 80,000 word manuscript and there were many days where I'd get in over 2,000 words in a day but they were never the norm.  My usual daily word count was about 500 and to complete NaNoWriMo I plan on having to hit 1,750 each day.  That's a lot.  I'm afraid I'll know right off the bat if it isn't going to happen but I don't want to let myself think of the possibility that it can't be done.  Obviously I know it can.  Thousands of people with just as busy lives as me will be doing this.

I'm going to just dive in and keep going...not allow myself to overanalyze or overthink the story/character development.  It might be a disaster or it might be exactly what I need to get back on track with this.  And I have to say, staying up the past few nights to outline and read and kill time have been extremely refreshing.  You'd think I would be exhausted in the morning but I'm in such a better mood than normal.  I really believe making that extra time just for me is something I should have been doing for a long time now.  I get two extra hours (albeit semi-drowsy hours, but conscious ones all the same) to do the things I love to do.  It hasn't been a chore at all.  Which makes me chuckle since I actually mopped the kitchen floor last night at 11 in an attempt to get a second wind.  It worked...I was up until midnight reading NaNoWriMo support forums.

Wish me luck...I might only be stopping in to record word counts over the next few weeks.  And hopefully I'll remember to post a photo of the kids in costume later.

No comments:

Post a Comment