Sunday, January 4, 2015

Evernote anyone?

I was wasting time yesterday on my phone and followed a link on Facebook to an article about the best apps for writers (I tried to find it to link it here and it's no where to be found...sorry).  The first four listed weren't even available for the Android system (whatever...I didn't like them anyway) but the fifth one was Evernote.  I've used Evernote before, I've even synced old notebooks with it, but it was never productive for me.  I didn't like that I couldn't add handwritten notes with the iPhone (and with the iPad I had to use Penultimate).  Then I completely abandoned most Apple products and shifted over to Windows and Android.  So yesterday when I was reading the rave review about Evernote, I decided to give it a try again.

After one good look, I was hooked.  I migrated everything from OneNote (sorry Microsoft) and downloaded the apps on every device I have (I do share a Mac with my husband, but I'm all about portability, so I barely use it...I also downloaded it on this Asus VivoTab Note 8 tablet and my work computer...a crappy Lenovo laptop...and on my Galaxy Note 4, with which I have a love/hate relationship).  I've been using it nonstop since.

The things I like about it:
-I can use a handwriting feature with my digitizer pens on the tablet and phone
-It syncs quickly and reliably
-There are so many ways I can take a note (audio, speech to text, photo, pdf import, typed, handwritten, web articles)
-The tags/stacks/organization of it
-The reminders
-The fact that it emails reminders (haven't figured this one out yet)
-The Android widget
-The Chrome integration (haven't used much yet)

The things I wish it did (I know, I'm being greedy, but a little constructive criticism never hurt anyone, right?)
-I wish the handwriting thing between the phone and windows application worked more cohesively (I don't think it does...but I haven't really tried too hard)
-I wish it let me see just certain tags in the Android version...it might do this too, but I haven't figured it out yet...wait, update..it literally took me two seconds to figure this out...dumb me...just go to the main homepage in the app and select 'tags' instead of notebooks.  Whooopsy.
-I for some reason can't title a handwritten note in the android app until after I finish and save the note.  That's annoying.

I really, really love Evernote.  

Tonight, I plan to take get my baby in bed, take my dog for a walk, take a bath (during which I'll read for fun), then start my first short story of the year.  Let's see if I accomplish all of this considering it's already 7:30.


No comments:

Post a Comment